Google Play gift cards are like cash and completely anonymous. That is why this “virtual means of payment” has been the target of clever fraudsters for a long time. The simplest rule of thumb is if someone asks you to use Google Play gift cards for anything, hang up and block the number.
How does the Google Maps scam work?
Google Play gift cards can be bought and then given to someone who can use them to pay for various products on Google. You, as the buyer of the gift cards, do not find out who redeemed the card and what they paid for with it. So fraudsters can redeem such a Google card without being caught.
How scammers work:
- You get a call from a – mostly through “call ID spoofing” fake phone number.
- The callers say something like “Profit Center‘ and let you know you have one won large amount of money.
- Then it gets strange, because instead of simply transferring the amount, it supposedly has to be handed over to you personally.
- For example, a Money messenger come with a lawyerthat you should expect.
- To make the whole thing even more believable, you get one Deadline and then yours should too Have ID ready.
- And now comes the real scam: Fall for this service transportation charges an, die you pay must.
- To do this, you should add the sum of 1,000 euros in the form of Google Play gift cards ready.
Everything about it is stupid: Why isn’t the money transferred? Why should you pay for the transport? Why should the payment not be in the form of money, but as Google gift cards?
The crooks don’t even bother to send anyone over. Then they should have your “profit” with them. They just let you read the gift card codes over the phone.
What to do if you fell for the Google Maps scam?
- This scam method is common internationally. And that’s why Google has also created a dedicated Google Play gift card scam report page. There you can report the problem by email or in a German chat.
- If you don’t have your own Google account, you can use a form to report the gift card scam.
- You need the Gift card serial numbers. Besides, you can Upload photos of gift cards.
- Additionally, Google wants a Picture of the proof of purchase have so that you can prove that you bought the gift cards.
If all goes well, Google can block the cards before the amount is spent. With a bit of luck you will get the tickets refunded. In any case, you should also file a report with the police.